Friday, March 14, 2008

Pronger/Kesler incident & Bettman

Noticed a lot of chatter on various blogs and message boards relating to the stomping incident by Chris Pronger on Ryan Kesler in Wednesday's Vancouver-Anaheim game. Who knows if the contact info is right, but I decided to send an quick email to Mr. Bettman and Mr. Campbell regarding the current lack of disciplinary action taken against Pronger, as follows:

Dear Mr. Bettman,

If the current reports regarding the Chris Pronger/Ryan Kesler stomping incident are accurate, I feel compelled to voice my enormous disappointment in the lack of any disciplinary action taken against Mr. Pronger. You are allowing this league to become an absolute joke. I will fully expect to hear from you personally when a player ends up seriously injured or dead due to the lax policies the NHL has towards such actions. I'm curious what kind of suspension the league will hand out when a player's intentional action results in someone being paralyzed, or worse, killed. What's the penalty to match the injury there Mr. Bettman? It is a disgrace that you and the others in charge of this league have turned a blind eye, in most instances (slap on the wrist 3 games suspensions are token gestures) and play favorites. I anxiously await the day when a real commission has control of our game.

Sincerely,

Rocco Russo

The opinions on this incident cover the spectrum, some of which I just can't understand. Regardless of this one specific example, I find it an utter disgrace what the league allows to happen and go unpunished, and what they do choose to punish at times. I find the complete lack of officiating and disciplinary consistency to be a major problem arising in the post-lockout NHL. For the sake of the great game we love I hope either Bettman and his gang either get their heads out of their asses or let new leadership take over before hockey and the NHL fades from the public (American lat least) consciousness.

No comments: